Re: log_autovacuum - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From NikhilS
Subject Re: log_autovacuum
Date
List pgsql-patches
Hi,

On 3/9/07, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 14:53 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>  Maybe something like this is better:
>
> LOG: index passes: 1  pages: removed 0, 197 remain  tuples: removed 7199, 2338 remain  CPU usage: whatever
> CONTEXT: Automatic vacuuming of table "database.public.w"

Yours is better.

I've implemented this:

LOG: autovac "public.w" index passes: 1  pages: removed 0, 197 remain
tuples: removed 7199, 2338 remain  CPU usage: whatever

I'm happy if this gets removed later, but I think it will help everybody
understand how multi-vacuums are working and what the best way to
specify the controls should be.

Not sure about the CONTEXT bit. I think its verbose, plus I thought that
was for ERRORs only. I will defer on this point, since I know y'all
understand that better than I.

IMHO, it would be good to have both the messages spit out. The earlier message is much better for parsing and the later makes READABLE sense.

Regards,
Nikhils

--
EnterpriseDB               http://www.enterprisedb.com