Re: How to retrive List of Tables in a Database using... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Mead
Subject Re: How to retrive List of Tables in a Database using...
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 1:26 AM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
Yogi Yang 007 wrote:
Hello,

I am new to pgSQL. I would like to know if there is a way to do the following using pure SQL:
1. Retrieve list of all Tables in a database
2. Retrieve list of all Functions, Triggers, Sequences, Views, etc.
3. Retrieve list of all Group Roles
4. Retrieve list of all Login Roles
5. Structure of a Table

If you want to learn the postgres catalogs, fire up 'psql -E'

  When you use the meta-commands like \dt  -- lists tables.... then it will show you the SQL it ran to generate the table list.  Run those meta-commands and pay attention to the emitted SQL, it's helpful.

--Scott

most of that stuff can be fetched from the INFORMATION_SCHEMA, such as ..

  select * from information_schema.tables where table_schema not in ('pg_catalog','information_schema');

  select * from information_schema.columns where table_schema='schemaname' and table_name='tablename';

note, * on both of these returns a lot of data, you may want to be more selective, depending on just what infoyou need to know, especially about the columns.