Re: How to retrive List of Tables in a Database using... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: How to retrive List of Tables in a Database using...
Date
List pgsql-general
Yogi Yang 007 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to pgSQL. I would like to know if there is a way to do the
> following using pure SQL:
> 1. Retrieve list of all Tables in a database
> 2. Retrieve list of all Functions, Triggers, Sequences, Views, etc.
> 3. Retrieve list of all Group Roles
> 4. Retrieve list of all Login Roles
> 5. Structure of a Table

most of that stuff can be fetched from the INFORMATION_SCHEMA, such as ..

    select * from information_schema.tables where table_schema not in
('pg_catalog','information_schema');

    select * from information_schema.columns where
table_schema='schemaname' and table_name='tablename';

note, * on both of these returns a lot of data, you may want to be more
selective, depending on just what infoyou need to know, especially about
the columns.