Re: Add pre-existing tablespace to new installation - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Mead
Subject Re: Add pre-existing tablespace to new installation
Date
List pgsql-admin

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Roland Hughes <roland@logikalsolutions.com> wrote:

Hello,

I have had a question for some time and cannot seem to find an answer.

Is there a way to add pre-existing tablespace to a fresh Postgres install?

Typically I create tablespace on some TB drives and place all databases there. The default OpenSuSE 64-bit and Ubuntu 64-bit installations have Postgres looking at the root drive. I don't have a problem with that, but do want the ability to add tablespace (including all of its stored data) which was already in existence prior to the re-install/new-install.

I can do this with commercial products like RDB on OpenVMS.

I'm trying to avoid the pain of unload/recreate/reload when upgrading OS versions. In many cases, they don't even change the Postgres version. Unloading multiple TB of binary data to text then reloading is a major tactical problem.

  In postgres, there is no concept of a 'transportable tablespace' (to use a term for another commercial RDBMS), however, if your data directory, and I mean the whole thing, not just one tablespace, survives the OS upgrade, all you need to do is start the db server against that data directory.

  By data directory, I mean the whole thing, i.e.

     global
     base
     pg_xlog
     pg_clog
     postgresql.conf

   You cannot run a new 'initdb' and then have an external tablespace copied in.

--Scott