Add pre-existing tablespace to new installation - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Roland Hughes
Subject Add pre-existing tablespace to new installation
Date
Re: Add pre-existing tablespace to new installation  (Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>)
Re: Add pre-existing tablespace to new installation  (Scott Mead <scott.lists@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-admin

Hello,

I have had a question for some time and cannot seem to find an answer.

Is there a way to add pre-existing tablespace to a fresh Postgres install?

Typically I create tablespace on some TB drives and place all databases there. The default OpenSuSE 64-bit and Ubuntu 64-bit installations have Postgres looking at the root drive. I don't have a problem with that, but do want the ability to add tablespace (including all of its stored data) which was already in existence prior to the re-install/new-install.

I can do this with commercial products like RDB on OpenVMS.

I'm trying to avoid the pain of unload/recreate/reload when upgrading OS versions. In many cases, they don't even change the Postgres version. Unloading multiple TB of binary data to text then reloading is a major tactical problem.

--

Roland Hughes

President

Logikal Solutions