Re: What is the binary format for timestamps? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From ljb
Subject Re: What is the binary format for timestamps?
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
marvin.bellamy@innovision.com wrote:
> I'm trying to read/write timestamps as binary data, but I'm getting
> garbage.  It looks like there are 8 bytes of timestamp data (if I read
> the headers correctly), which I had assumed was the time in millis from
> the PostgreSQL epoch, but my values are way off.  I wrote what I thought
> was valid data to my  timestamp columns, but my queries in the psql
> console show (epoch?) for each one.  When I read the binary content
> back, I'd expect to get 0s, but I get some non-zero values.

Don't use binary formats. But if you do:

A date is returned as a 4-byte big-endian integer representing the number
of days since POSTGRES_EPOCH_DATE.
A timestamp is returned as an 8-byte big-endian double precision number of
seconds since POSTGRES_EPOCH_DATE.
A time is returned as an 8-byte big-endian double precision number of
seconds since midnight.
POSTGRES_EPOCH_DATE is January 1, 2000 (2000-01-01).