Re: replication in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Larsen
Subject Re: replication in Postgres
Date
Re: replication in Postgres  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: replication in Postgres  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
List pgsql-general
> Someone is working on extending the current system to allow read-only
> queries on a standby server [1], thus making it a "hot standby", but
> this feature apparently won't be included until 8.4 [2].

My 2 cents...

I would rather see someone working on true synchronous replication,
rather than a readable hot-standby. Yeah, I know, different problems
with different solutions. But,. for my money, a readable hot-standby
doesn't give me added functionality, it's just a performance option.
Whereas synchronous replication has much greater value from a the
perspective of running a 24x7 business.

I'm on the verge of dumping our commercial DB in favor of PostgreSQL,
but this is one issue that is holding me back.

Jeff