Save a few bytes in pg_attribute - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Save a few bytes in pg_attribute
Date
Re: Save a few bytes in pg_attribute  (David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com>)
Re: Save a few bytes in pg_attribute  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
After the discussion in [0] ff., I was looking around in pg_attribute
and noticed that we could possibly save 4 bytes.  We could change both
attstattarget and attinhcount from int4 to int2, which together with
some reordering would save 4 bytes from the fixed portion.

attstattarget is already limited to 10000, so this wouldn't lose
anything.  For attinhcount, I don't see any documented limits.  But it
seems unlikely to me that someone would need more than 32k immediate
inheritance parents on a column.  (Maybe an overflow check would be
useful, though, to prevent shenanigans.)

The attached patch seems to work.  Thoughts?

[0]:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20230313204119.4mkepdvixcxrwpsc%40awork3.anarazel.de
Attachment