Re: Low Performance for big hospital server .. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From William Yu
Subject Re: Low Performance for big hospital server ..
Date
Re: Low Performance for big hospital server ..  (Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com>)
List pgsql-performance
amrit@health2.moph.go.th wrote:
> I will try to reduce shared buffer to 1536 [1.87 Mb].

1536 is probaby too low. I've tested a bunch of different settings on my
  8GB Opteron server and 10K seems to be the best setting.

>>also effective cache is the sum of kernel buffers + shared_buffers so it
>>should be bigger than shared buffers.
>
> also make the effective cache to 2097152 [2 Gb].
> I will give you the result , because tomorrow [4/12/05] will be the official day
> of my hospital [which have more than 1700 OPD patient/day].

To figure out your effective cache size, run top and add free+cached.

>>Also turning hyperthreading off may help, it is unlikely it is doing any
>>good unless you are running a relatively new (2.6.x) kernel.
>
> Why , could you give me the reason?

Pre 2.6, the kernel does not know the difference between logical and
physical CPUs. Hence, in a dual processor system with hyperthreading, it
actually sees 4 CPUs. And when assigning processes to CPUs, it may
assign to 2 logical CPUs in the same physical CPU.

>>I presume you are vacuuming on a regular basis?
>
> Yes , vacuumdb daily.

Do you vacuum table by table or the entire DB? I find over time, the
system tables can get very bloated and cause a lot of slowdowns just due
to schema queries/updates. You might want to try a VACUUM FULL ANALYZE
just on the system tables.