Re: Low Performance for big hospital server .. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: Low Performance for big hospital server ..
Date
List pgsql-performance
William Yu wrote:
> amrit@health2.moph.go.th wrote:
>> Yes , vacuumdb daily.
>
> Do you vacuum table by table or the entire DB? I find over time, the
> system tables can get very bloated and cause a lot of slowdowns just due
> to schema queries/updates. You might want to try a VACUUM FULL ANALYZE
> just on the system tables.

A REINDEX of the system tables in stand-alone mode might also be in
order, even for a 7.4.x database:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/sql-reindex.html

If a dump-reload-analyze cycle yields significant performance
improvements then we know it's due to dead-tuple bloat - either heap
tuples or index tuples.

Mike Mascari