Re: Low Performance for big hospital server .. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Gregory S. Williamson
Subject Re: Low Performance for big hospital server ..
Date
List pgsql-performance
Amrit --

Adding RAM will almost always help, at least for a while. Our small runitme servers have 2 gigs of RAM; the larger ones
have4 gigs; I do anticipate the need to add RAM as we add users.

If you have evaluated the queries that are running and verified that they are using indexes properly, etc., and tuned
theother parameters for your system and its disks, adding memory helps because it increases the chance that data is
alreadyin memory, thus saving the time to fetch it from disk. Studying performance under load with top, vmstat, etc.
anddetailed analysis of queries can often trade some human time for the money that extra hardware would cost. Sometimes
easierto do than getting downtime for a critical server, as well.

If you don't have a reliable way of reproducing real loads on a test system, it is best to change things cautiously,
andobserve the system under load; if you change too many things (ideally only 1 at a time but often that is not
possible)you mau actually defeat a good change with a bad one; at the least,m you may not know which change was the
mostimportant one if you make several at once.

Best of luck,

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC