Re: pg_restore out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francisco Reyes
Subject Re: pg_restore out of memory
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane writes:

> Keep in mind though that the COPY process is going to involve several
> working copies of that data (at least four that I can think of ---
> line input buffer, field input buffer, constructed text object, and
> constructed tuple).

Will this be for the shared_buffers memory?

> I'm also not clear on whether the 512MB limit you refer to will count
> the PG shared memory area

The OS limit is set to 1.6GB.
I increased the shared_buffers to 450MB and it still failed.

> hundred meg off the top of what a backend can allocate as temporary
> workspace.

Is there anything I can change in my log settings so I can produce something
which will help you narrow down this problem?

> So it seems entirely likely to me that you'd need a ulimit above 512MB
> to push around 84MB fields.

The issue I am trying to figure is which limit.. the OS limit is set to
1.6GB. I am now trying to increase my shared_buffers. So far have them at
450MB and it is still failing.

Will also try the setting Vivek suggested although for that may need to
restart the machine.