Re: unexpected shutdown - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Hoover
Subject Re: unexpected shutdown
Date
List pgsql-general

On 6/18/07, developer@wexwarez.com <developer@wexwarez.com> wrote:
My database has shutdown several times in the last couple days.  I have no
idea why.  I am running centos and I have not rebooted the server or made
any configuration changes.  I am running postgres 8.2 and it has been
stable since I installed it about 5 months ago.  The databases crashes and
so my software application goes down.  When I restart my application
everything seems to work fine.  But then it crashes again, something
appears to be corrupt.  Here are my logs:

LOG:  server process (PID 501) was terminated by signal 9
LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the
current transaction and exit, because another server process exited
abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and
repeat your command.
[...]
FATAL:  the database system is in recovery mode
FATAL:  the database system is in recovery mode
LOG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing
LOG:  database system was interrupted at 2007-06-17 10:55:32 PDT
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/72F41748
LOG:  redo record is at 0/72F41748; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown FALSE
LOG:  next transaction ID: 0/2638157; next OID: 52761
LOG:  next MultiXactId: 4; next MultiXactOffset: 7
LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
progress
LOG:  record with zero length at 0/72F41790
LOG:  redo is not required
LOG:  database system is ready

LOG:  server process (PID 13904) was terminated by signal 9
[...]
LOG:  database system was interrupted at 2007-06-18 10:09:51 PDT
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/73609D18
LOG:  redo record is at 0/73609D18; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown FALSE
LOG:  next transaction ID: 0/2645768; next OID: 52761
LOG:  next MultiXactId: 4; next MultiXactOffset: 7
LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
progress
LOG:  record with zero length at 0/73609D60
LOG:  redo is not required
LOG:  database system is ready

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Looks like someone is doing a kill -9 on one of the database processes causing postgres to do a restart.

LOG:  server process (PID 501) was terminated by signal 9