Re: One DB not backed up by pg_dumpall - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francisco Reyes
Subject Re: One DB not backed up by pg_dumpall
Date
List pgsql-general
Jaime Casanova writes:

> - you still have the server where these databases exists?

No. I lost 3 databases.

> - what version of pgsql, is this?

It was 8.0.4
I was upgrading to 8.1.
I checked the nightly jobs had been running, then ran a manual one and
proceeded to do the upgrade.

> pg_dumpall ignore all databases with datallowconn = true, maybe it is the case?

The original database is gone so can't check that.

Do you know if there is a way to find out if pg_dumpall had problems?
Later today I plan to do a mini test.. run pg_dumpall as a user with rights
to only some tables and see if the program returns an error or if returns a
value upon failure... so I can modify my script.

It would be helpfull if the docs/man page were updated to indicate any info
about what pg_dumpall does in case of failures.

I am also planning on writing one or more scripts to check the pg_dumpall
file. My DBs are small enough that I can run a check on them (ie count how
many DBs were backed up, compare to how many "\connect" the dump file has).
Hopefully will make them semi-generic so others can re-use them too.