Re: Help with authentication on Debain/Ubuntu installation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Help with authentication on Debain/Ubuntu installation
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/21/19 6:35 AM, stan wrote:

>> Thanks, found it, I believe:
>>
>> local   all             postgres
>>
>> Good to know first match wins, that is different than some other systems I
>> am used to.
>
> OK, there appears to be a bit more than I thought to this. Here is the line I
> believe is causing me issues:
>
> # Database administrative login by Unix domain socket
> local   all             postgres                                peer
>
> There is a comment saying that removing this is a bad idea, so ...
>
> If the 1st rule matches, I am thinking this will override any rule I put in
> after such as:
>
> local all postgres md5
>
> Is my understanding of this correct?

Yes.

The question is whether you really need a password connection to a local
socket or not?

If so then you will need to make the change and deal with any scripts
that are expecting a password free socket connection.

If not leave it alone. If you want to test password connection then use
a -h localhost to get a host connection.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com