Re: Support for grabbing multiple consecutive values with nextval() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Support for grabbing multiple consecutive values with nextval()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 27.02.22 10:42, Jille Timmermans wrote:
> I wanted to be able to allocate a bunch of numbers from a sequence at
> once. Multiple people seem to be struggling with this
> (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/896274/select-multiple-ids-from-a-postgresql-sequence,
> https://www.depesz.com/2008/03/20/getting-multiple-values-from-sequences/).
>
> I propose to add an extra argument to nextval() that specifies how many
> numbers you want to allocate (default 1).

What is the use of this?

I note that the stackoverflow question wanted to return multiple
sequence values as a result set, whereas your implementation just skips
a number of values and returns the last one.  At least we should be
clear about what we are trying to achieve.