Support for grabbing multiple consecutive values with nextval() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jille Timmermans
Subject Support for grabbing multiple consecutive values with nextval()
Date
Re: Support for grabbing multiple consecutive values with nextval()  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com>)
Re: Support for grabbing multiple consecutive values with nextval()  (Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

First time PostgreSQL contributor here :)

I wanted to be able to allocate a bunch of numbers from a sequence at
once. Multiple people seem to be struggling with this
(https://stackoverflow.com/questions/896274/select-multiple-ids-from-a-postgresql-sequence,
https://www.depesz.com/2008/03/20/getting-multiple-values-from-sequences/).

I propose to add an extra argument to nextval() that specifies how many
numbers you want to allocate (default 1).

The attached patch (based on master) passes `./configure
--enable-cassert --enable-debug && make && make check`, including the
newly added regression tests.

It does change the signature of nextval_internal(), not sure if that's
considered backwards compatibility breaking (for extensions?).

-- Jille
Attachment