Re: [ODBC] Driver issue ? Default value not recognized in access - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [ODBC] Driver issue ? Default value not recognized in access
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On 01/17/2017 07:39 AM, patrick.le-calvez@engie.com wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Thanks for your answer,
>
> Here are the elements you asked :
>

> 1)      How is the table in Access linked to the Postgres database?
>
> I create tables linked through a ODBC connection.
>

> Here are the parameters of the connection.
>

> 2)      Where do you except the default value to show up?
>

> I expect the default value to appear in 2 places.
>
> First, I would like to see it there :

 From what I can gather Access does not pull in the default values from
linked tables. The default value in the table description is something
you have to fill in yourself and is applicable only to Access itself.

> Second (and most of all), when I run my vba subs, I need to use the
> default values of some fields. At this state, vba does see any.
>

> 3)      Is the default value created in the database when you INSERT a
> value without specifying it?
>

> Yes it is.
>
> More specifically, most of my records are inserted via a vba sub. That’s
> where I need those default values the most.

I do not use VBA so I will not be of much help there. All I can do is
point at:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms711683(v=vs.85).aspx

where there is:

COLUMN_DEF (ODBC 3.0) 13  Varchar

The default value of the column. The value in this column should be
interpreted as a string if it is enclosed in quotation marks.

More digging found this:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/much-ado-about-field-properties/

Not sure if that will help or not.

--