Re: Fwd: Creating Partition in existing Table using postgreSQL11 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: Fwd: Creating Partition in existing Table using postgreSQL11
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi,

> On 11/2/18 1:34 AM, Maheswaran R wrote:
>> Dear Sir/madam,
>> I want to create partition on existing table, is it possible to create a
>> partition on existing tables in postgreSQL 11?
>> if so please give a sample script/syntax.

You can create a partition on an existing table only if the existing table
is defined as a partitioned table, like this:

create table existing_table_name (...) partition by ....

Read more about how to create partitioned tables and their partitions at
the following documentation of CREATE TABLE:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/sql-createtable.html

By the way, this is not a bug, so pgsql-bugs@... is not the list to ask
this.  Next time, please send emails with such questions to
pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org.  Also, read about which mailing lists
to use in different situations by reading their descriptions here:

https://www.postgresql.org/list/

Thanks,
Amit