Re: Access to Postgresql Utility - Mailing list pgsql-general

From caldodge@fpcc.net (Calvin Dodge)
Subject Re: Access to Postgresql Utility
Date
List pgsql-general
David Bryan <d_bryan_remove@onebox.com> wrote in message news:<I4mY7.1086$tu1.420591758@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>...
> I am currently working on a MS Access to PostgreSQL utility. Since I could
> not find one I suppose I will either release it to the PostgreSQL folks or
> put it out as open source.

You might try http://sevainc.com/access/.  There's an Access-based
converter there which does a reasonable job of converting Access to
PostgreSQL (providing there are no "funny" characters in the table,
field, or index names.

> What I am tring to discover is the maximum length table, field, index names
> can be. I want to make sure that I correct any problems during the SQL code
> generation.

Generally, the length limit on names is 31 characters.  That can be
changed at compile time - which means it would be the default limit
for those users (including me) who simply install it from the binary
package (rpm, deb) of their choice.

> The idea is to make it easier to port Access applications to PostgreSQL
> rather than SQL Server.

A worthy goal, to be sure.

One "gotcha" to watch out for - PostgreSQL allows indexes on "text"
fields (unlimited-length strings), while Access does NOT do indexes on
its equivalent (memo).  Because of this, Access will choke if you try
to create an ODBC link to a Postgres table with indexed text fields.
(one workaround is to create a view which includes the table in
question, since Access doesn't "see" indexes for tables in a view).

Calvin