Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Update: < * Allow adding enumerated values to an existing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Dunstan
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Update: < * Allow adding enumerated values to an existing
Date
In response to Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Update: < * Allow adding enumerated values to an existing  ("Zeugswetter Andreas OSB SD" <Andreas.Zeugswetter@s-itsolutions.at>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Zeugswetter Andreas OSB SD
<Andreas.Zeugswetter@s-itsolutions.at> wrote:
>  I think you are not considering existing btree indexes here
>  (for the reordering case) ?

You're quite right, I had not considered existing indexes. There's no
easy way to deal with that other than rebuilding them. :(

I *still* think someone with a big table would prefer to drop/create
their indexes rather than go through a nasty ALTER COLUMN which would
have the seemingly much worse outcome of rebuilding their whole table
AND any indexes. But whatever - I'll implement option 1 and submit it,
as a marked improvement over the status quo. If I can make option 2
work fast enough I'll consider submitting it as a feature improvement
thereafter, but given the general consensus for option 1 I'm not
pushing option 2 much any more.

Cheers

Tom