Re: [HACKERS] Monitoring roles patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Monitoring roles patch
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Monitoring roles patch  (Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/22/17 07:48, Dave Page wrote:
> With the patch, complex monitoring systems can easily be setup with
> something like:
>
> CREATE ROLE monitoring_user LOGIN;
> GRANT pg_monitor TO monitoring_role;

That assumes that we have thought of all the ways in which people might
want to monitor things.

If we do it via GRANTs instead, then users can easily extend it.

If we instead change the hardcoded superuser checks to hardcoded
some-other-role checks, then the whole system instantly becomes unusable
the moment someone wants to monitor something we haven't thought of.