Re: Implementation of new operators inside the PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From rupesh bajaj
Subject Re: Implementation of new operators inside the PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Hi,
We are currently generating the patch and are ready to discuss about all issues in the hackers list. Since this process will take some time, is it permissible for us to release our version on our institute < http://dsl.serc.iisc.ernet.in > website?

Thanks and Regards,
Rupesh & Sharat

On 7/8/07, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
rupesh bajaj wrote:
> I am mailing on behalf of the Database Systems Lab, Indian Institute of
> Science(IISc), Bangalore, India. We have implemented three new operators
> internal to the PostgreSQL 8.1.2 engine in order to support queries on
> multilingual data(english and hindi as of now). It can be extended to
> support any other language. In the process, we have augmented the parser,
> rewriter, planner and optimizer to support such queries. We want to make a
> release of our version now.
>
> Could you please let me know if there is any standard procedure to be
> followed for release of PostgreSQL. Also please let me know if we can
> release our version on the official PostgreSQL site - www.postgresql.org

The normal procedure is to discuss the feature and design on
pgsql-hackers first, and then send a patch against CVS HEAD to
pgsql-patches for review.

The first thing you need to do is to convince people that the feature is
worth having. What does it provide that you can't do with the current
feature set? How does it work from user's point of view?

After that you need to discuss the design. Are all those changes to the
parser, rewriter, planner and optimizer really necessary? How does it
interact with all the other features, like tsearch2 and indexes?

Since you've already done the work, you can just submit the patch as it
is for people to look at, in addition to the above, but it's extremely
unlikely that it will be accepted as it is.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas
   EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com