Re: [psycopg] speed concerns with executemany() - Mailing list psycopg

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [psycopg] speed concerns with executemany()
Date
List psycopg
On 12/30/2016 02:24 PM, Daniele Varrazzo wrote:
> The implementation of executemany as described by me a few days ago is
> available in this gist, not heavily tested:
>
> https://gist.github.com/dvarrazzo/4204cca5d1cd7c9c95bc814d81e6b83e
>
> I would like to know if anyone sees any shortcoming in this new implementation.

A quick test. I added an argument to change the page_size on the command
line:

With NRECS=10000:

aklaver@tito:~> python psycopg_executemany.py -p 10
classic: 0.800544023514 sec
joined: 0.514330863953 sec
aklaver@tito:~> python psycopg_executemany.py -p 100
classic: 0.780461072922 sec
joined: 0.473304986954 sec
aklaver@tito:~> python psycopg_executemany.py -p 1000
classic: 0.820818901062 sec
joined: 0.488647937775 sec

With NRECS=100000:

aklaver@tito:~> python psycopg_executemany.py -p 10
classic: 7.78319811821 sec
joined: 4.18683385849 sec
aklaver@tito:~> python psycopg_executemany.py -p 100
classic: 7.75992202759 sec
joined: 4.06096816063 sec
aklaver@tito:~> python psycopg_executemany.py -p 1000
classic: 7.76269102097 sec
joined: 4.12301802635 sec

The relative difference between the classic and joined seems to hold,
you just do not seem to get much benefit from changing the page_size.
Not sure how much that matters and you do get a benefit from the joined
solution.