Re: PG9.1 migration to PG9.6, dump/restore issues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: PG9.1 migration to PG9.6, dump/restore issues
Date
List pgsql-general
On 9/12/18 11:30 AM, Scot Kreienkamp wrote:
>> Did you see errors in the restore?
>>
>> In particular about not finding roles(users) for the permissions?
>>
>> I ask because I do not see in the above anything about dumping objects
>> global to the cluster. That would include roles. I use:
>>
>> pg_dumpall -g -f globals.sql
>>
>> See:
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/app-pg-dumpall.html
>>

> Nope, no errors in the restore that I could see.  As I as discussing with Tom Lane, the -g switch doesn't bring over
schemapermissions either.  I could use the -s switch and

Using pg_dumpall -g is not about permissions it is about transferring
the roles that the permissions depend on. To put it another way roles
are global to a cluster and permissions are tied to objects in a database.

just re-create the databases as empty again after that's applied.  That
brings over everything except data.

Scot.Kreienkamp@la-z-boy.com

> This message is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  It may contain privileged,
confidentialinformation which is exempt from disclosure under applicable laws.  If you are not the intended recipient,
youare strictly prohibited from disseminating or distributing this information (other than to the intended recipient)
orcopying this information.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail
orby telephone at the above number. Thank you.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com