Re: Case sensitivity? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: Case sensitivity?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/27/05, dfx <dfx@dfx.it> wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> I have a little problem:
>
> - Contest: Server side: Linux Fedora core 4 with PostgreSQL v. 8.0
>                 Client side: both Linux Fedora core 4 with pgAdmin III v.
> 1.4 and/or Windows 2000 server vith pgAdmin III v. 1.4
>
> - I Made a table:
>
> CREATE TABLE "Accoglienza"
> (
>   "IdAccoglienza" int4 NOT NULL DEFAULT
> nextval('public."Accoglienza_IdAccoglienza_seq"'::text),
>   "IdCongresso" int4 NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
> CONSTRAINT "Accoglienza_Pk" PRIMARY KEY ("IdAccoglienza")
> )
> WITHOUT OIDS;
>
> if I try "INSERT INTO Accoglienza (IdCongresso) VALUES (23)"
>
> I get an error "ERROR:  la relazione "accoglienza" non esiste" (The relation
> "accoglienza does not exist")
>
> please note the change of the case of "A" to "a";
>
> if I rename the table to "accoglienza" the error disappear, but arise
> another error on "IdAccoglienza" that change in "idaccoglienza". (i.e. all
> converted to lower case)
>
> The same error arise with window client and linux client.
>
> How I can set case-insensitive the system, or avoid the conversion to lower
> case?

the server always will transfor the names of the object to lower case
unless you surround them with quotes ("")

so if you say

CREATE TABLE TablE --> it will create a table called table
and if you say
CREATE TABLE "TablE" --> it will create a table called "TablE"

and in this case, if you try to select from table it will give an
error... it will give you an error even if you type TablE you have to
type "TablE" or always live with lower case object names...

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova