Re: pg_stats and range statistics - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Egor Rogov
Subject Re: pg_stats and range statistics
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

thanks for the review and corrections.

On 11.07.2021 21:54, Soumyadeep Chakraborty wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This should have been added with [1].
>
> Excerpt from the documentation:
> "pg_stats is also designed to present the information in a more readable
> format than the underlying catalog — at the cost that its schema must
> be extended whenever new slot types are defined for pg_statistic." [2]
>
> So, I added a reminder in pg_statistic.h.

Good point.

> Attached is v2 of this patch with some cosmetic changes.

I wonder why "TODO: catalog version bump"? This patch doesn't change
catalog structure, or I miss something?

> Renamed the columns a
> bit and updated the docs to be a bit more descriptive.
> (range_length_empty_frac -> empty_range_frac, range_bounds_histogram ->
> range_bounds_histograms)

I intended to make the same prefix ("range_") for all columns concerned
with range types, although I'm fine with the proposed naming.

> One question:
>
> We do have the option of representing the histogram of lower bounds separately
> from the histogram of upper bounds, as two separate view columns. Don't know if
> there is much utility though and there is a fair bit of added complexity: see
> below. Thoughts?

I thought about it too, and decided not to transform the underlying data
structure. As far as I can see, pg_stats never employed such
transformations. For example, STATISTIC_KIND_DECHIST is an array
containing the histogram followed by the average in its last element. It
is shown in pg_stats.elem_count_histogram as is, although it arguably
may be splitted into two fields. All in all, I believe pg_stats's job is
to "unpack" stavalues and stanumbers into meaningful fields, and not to
try to go deeper than that.