Re: track_planning causing performance regression - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: track_planning causing performance regression
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 2021/06/30 0:12, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
>>         Enabling this parameter may incur a noticeable performance penalty,
>> -      especially when a fewer kinds of queries are executed on many
>> -      concurrent connections.
>> +      especially when queries with identical structure are executed by many
>> +      concurrent connections which compete to update a small number of
>> +      pg_stat_statements entries.
>>
>> It could say "identical structure" or "the same queryid" or "identical queryid".
>
> I think we should try to reuse the previous formulation.  How about
> "statements with identical query structure"?

I'm fine with this. So what about the following diff? I added <structname> tag.

        <varname>pg_stat_statements.track_planning</varname> controls whether
        planning operations and duration are tracked by the module.
        Enabling this parameter may incur a noticeable performance penalty,
-      especially when a fewer kinds of queries are executed on many
-      concurrent connections.
+      especially when statements with identical query structure are executed
+      by many concurrent connections which compete to update a small number of
+      <structname>pg_stat_statements</structname> entries.
        The default value is <literal>off</literal>.
        Only superusers can change this setting.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center