Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 8:05 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 10:12 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Ah, the owner of the subscription must be superuser.
> >
> > I've attached PoC patches.
> >
> > 0001 patch introduces the ability to skip transactions on the
> > subscriber side. We can specify XID to the subscription by like ALTER
> > SUBSCRIPTION test_sub SET SKIP TRANSACTION 100. The implementation
> > seems straightforward except for setting origin state. After skipping
> > the transaction we have to update the session origin state so that we
> > can start streaming the transaction next to the one that we just
> > skipped in case of the server crash or restarting the apply worker. We
> > set origin state to the commit WAL record. However, since we skip all
> > changes we don’t write any WAL even if we call CommitTransaction() at
> > the end of the skipped transaction. So the patch sets the origin state
> > to the transaction that updates the pg_subscription system catalog to
> > reset the skip XID. I think we need a discussion of this part.
> >

> IIUC, for streaming transactions you are allowing stream file to be
> created and then remove it at stream_commit/stream_abort time, is that
> right?

Right.

> If so, in which cases are you imagining the files to be
> created, is it in the case of relation message
> (LOGICAL_REP_MSG_RELATION)? Assuming the previous two statements are
> correct, this will skip the relation message as well as part of the
> removal of stream files which might lead to a problem because the
> publisher won't know that we have skipped the relation message and it
> won't send it again. This can cause problems while processing the next
> messages.

Good point. In the current patch, we skip all streamed changes at
stream_commit/abort but it should apply changes while skipping only
data-modification changes as we do for non-stream changes.

> > With 0002 and 0003 patches, we report the error information in server
> > logs and the stats view, respectively. 0002 patch adds errcontext for
> > messages that happened during applying the changes:
> >
> > ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique constraint "hoge_pkey"
> > DETAIL:  Key (c)=(1) already exists.
> > CONTEXT:  during apply of "INSERT" for relation "public.hoge" in
> > transaction with xid 736 committs 2021-06-27 12:12:30.053887+09
> >
> > 0003 patch adds pg_stat_logical_replication_error statistics view
> > discussed on another thread[1]. The apply worker sends the error
> > information to the stats collector if an error happens during applying
> > changes. We can check those errors as follow:
> >
> > postgres(1:25250)=# select * from pg_stat_logical_replication_error;
> >  subname  | relid | action | xid |         last_failure
> > ----------+-------+--------+-----+-------------------------------
> >  test_sub | 16384 | INSERT | 736 | 2021-06-27 12:12:45.142675+09
> > (1 row)
> >
> > I added only columns required for the skipping transaction feature to
> > the view for now.
> >

> Isn't it better to add an error message if possible?
>
> > Please note that those patches are meant to evaluate the concept we've
> > discussed so far. Those don't have the doc update yet.
> >

> I think your patch is on the lines of what we have discussed. It would
> be good if you can update docs and add few tests.

Okay. I'll incorporate the above suggestions in the next version patch.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
EDB:  https://www.enterprisedb.com/