Re: Inherited tables and column references - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Patnude
Subject Re: Inherited tables and column references
Date
List pgsql-general
Sounds right to me -- inherited table "child" doesn't really have a key of
it's own in your schema -- it's parent has the key... the child table is
basically the parent table plus some extra columns...

To do what it looks like you want to do -- you would need separate primary
keys on both parent and child but it doesn't seem exactly "normalized" to
me... this makes more sense...

To see what inheritance is really all about do this:

CREATE TABLE person (

    id integer not null primary key,
    first_name varchar(40) not null,
    last_name varchar(50) not null

);

CREATE TABLE child (

    child boolean default TRUE

) INHERITS (person);

INSERT INTO PERSON (id, first_name, last_name) VALUES (1, 'George',
'Smith');
INSERT INTO PERSON (id, first_name, last_name) VALUES (2, 'Mary', 'Smith');
INSERT INTO child  (id, first_name, last_name) VALUES (3, 'Baby', 'Smith');
SET SQL_INHERITANCE TO ON;

Then run these 4 queries one at a time...

SELECT * FROM person;
SELECT * FROM ONLY person;
SELECT * FROM child;
SELECT * FROM ONLY child;