Re: Data transfer very slow when connected via DSL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rainer Bauer
Subject Re: Data transfer very slow when connected via DSL
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hello Tom,

>This previous post says that someone else solved an ODBC
>performance problem with UseDeclareFetch=1:

I thought about that too, but enabling UseDeclareFetch will slow down the
query: it takes 30 seconds instead of 8.

>It's not immediately clear why pgAdmin would have the same issue,
>though, because AFAIK it doesn't rely on ODBC.

No it doesn't. That's the reason I used it to verify the behaviour.

But I remember Dave Page mentioning using a virtual list control to display
the results and that means a round trip for every tuple.

>I just finished looking through our archives for info about
>Windows-specific network performance problems.

I don't think it's a Windows-specific problem, because psql is doing the job
blindingly fast. The problem lies in the way my application is coded. See the
response to Dimitri for details.

Rainer