Re: Data transfer very slow when connected via DSL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rainer Bauer
Subject Re: Data transfer very slow when connected via DSL
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hello Dimitri,

>Let's stay optimist - at least now you know the main source of your problem! :))
>
>Let's see now with CURSOR...
>
>Firstly try this:
>munnin=>\timing
>munnin=>\set FETCH_COUNT 1;
>munnin=>select * from "tblItem";
>
>what's the time you see here? (I think your application is working in
>this manner)

That's it! It takes exactly 8 seconds like my program.

I retrieve the data through a bound column:
SELECT * FROM tblItem WHERE intItemIDCnt = ?

After converting this to
SELECT * FROM tblItem WHERE intItemIDCnt IN (...)
the query is as fast as psql: 409ms

So the problem is identified and the solution is to recode my application.

Rainer

PS: When enabling UseDeclareFetch as suggested by Tom then the runtime is
still three times slower: 1192ms. But I guess that problem is for the ODBC
list.