Re: FUD!! ODBC will not be supported by Microsoft in the future - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Relaxin
Subject Re: FUD!! ODBC will not be supported by Microsoft in the future
Date
List pgsql-odbc
> Even people who work a lot with MS Access end up
> having to know a lot about how Access does things
> behind the scenes, because inevitably they run into
> cases where Access just doesn't do what they want.
>
> I am using Access as the example, but this refers just
> as much to the Oracle & SQL Server ODBC setups
> referred to in earlier posts.

I disagree here about SQL Server. SQL Server allows forward and backwards
capabilities thru ODBC and OLEDB without having to pull the entire resultset
to the client.

You have to set it to Server side cursors and use DYNAMIC or KEYSET rowset
type.

SQLServer is the only database that I have come across that adheres to the
ODBC/ OLE DB standards (granted, they created the standard ), nearly 100%.

Postgresql supports fetching backwards, but the ODBC driver fetches thru all
of the records when you want to goto the end of the result set.  This
obviously can be fixed, but as it stands now, that amount of traffic is to
heavy in a production environment when you could have many users connected
to the system and their performance drops to near nothing because the
network is saturated.