7.3.3 behaving differently on OS X 10.2.6 and FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From culley harrelson
Subject 7.3.3 behaving differently on OS X 10.2.6 and FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE
Date
List pgsql-general
I don't know if this is a postgresql bug or a problem with my
architecture but I thought I would post here about a strange bug I just
came across in my application.

I use OS X 10.2.6 as my development machine and FreeBSD 4.8 for my
production machines.  All systems are running postgresql 7.3.3. I just
published some code to production and when testing the production
results it blew up with a sql parsing error.  The following sql worked
fine on my OS X development machine:

select u.user_id, u.first_name, u.last_name, u.email_address, w.w9,
pm.description as payment_method, count(s.user_id) as documents,
sum(s.payment_amount) as amt_sum from ht_user u inner join writer w on
u.user_id = w.user_id inner join payment_method pm on
w.payment_method_id = pm.payment_method_id left join submission s on
u.user_id = s.user_id group by u.user_id, u.first_name, u.last_name,
u.email_address, w.w9, pm.description order by lower(last_name) asc

But on my production machine postgresql complained about the order by
clause-- it wanted the table alias to be on last_name.

culley