Re: Storing encrypted data? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Aaron Bono
Subject Re: Storing encrypted data?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 7/17/06, John Tregea <john@debraneys.com> wrote:
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your advice. I was looking at the bytea data type in the
PostgreSQL book I bought (Korry and Susan Douglas, second edition). I
was concerned that if I have to escape certain characters like the
single quote or the backslash, how do I guarantee that the escaped
version does not already appear in the encrypted string?

Should I use the octal value to escape the single quote (\047) and
backslash (\\134)?

Those character sequences are extremely unlikely to occur in an
encrypted string.

Is the the right approach ?

Also... I note that I cannot change the data type of my field from text
to bytea (I am using PGADMIN III). Do you know why?

When I have data like this, I do a Base64 encoding.  The string ends up longer but I no longer have to worry about special characters mucking things up.

   Aaron Bono
   Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.
   http://www.aranya.com