Re: Problem with array subscripts in plpgsql trigger function - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Aaron Bono
Subject Re: Problem with array subscripts in plpgsql trigger function
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 7/5/06, Erik Jones <erik@myemma.com> wrote:
Aaron Bono wrote:
> On 7/5/06, *Erik Jones* <erik@myemma.com <mailto:erik@myemma.com>> wrote:
>
>     Ok, I have a trigger set up on the following (stripped down) table:
>
>     CREATE TABLE members (
>     member_id   bigint,
>     member_status_id   smallint,
>     member_is_deleted    boolean
>     );
>
>     Here's a shortened version of the trigger function:
>
>     CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION update_member() RETURNS TRIGGER AS $um$
>     DECLARE
>         status_deltas integer[];
>     BEGIN
>         IF(NEW.member_status_id != OLD.member_status_id AND
>     NEW.member_is_deleted IS NOT TRUE) THEN
>            status_deltas[NEW.member_status_id] := 1;
>            status_deltas[OLD.member_status_id] := -1;
>         END IF;
>         /*and after a couple more such conditional assignments I use the
>     values in status_deltas to update another table holding status
>     totals here*/
>     END;
>     $um$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;
>
>     on the two lines that access set array values I'm getting the
>     following
>     error:
>
>     ERROR:  invalid array subscripts
>
>     What gives?
>

> What values are being used for member_status_id?

1,  2, and 3

I did some digging through the documentation and cannot find any examples of using arrays like this.  Do you have to initialize the array before you use it?

Does anyone know where to look for informaiton about using arrays in stored procedures?

-Aaron