Re: "CASE" is not a variable - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Keith Worthington
Subject Re: "CASE" is not a variable
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:48:31 -0700, Bricklen Anderson wrote
> >> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:16:29 -0400, Tom Lane wrote
> >> SQL, or plpgsql?  It looks to me like misuse of the plpgsql INTO clause
> >> (there can be only one).
> >>
> >>             regards, tom lane
> >
> > plpgsql
> >
> > This is part of a function inside a v8.0.2 database.
> >
> > I didn't realize that the INTO clause was only limited to one instance.  I was
> > trying to accomplish
> >
> > SELECT col_a INTO var1,
> >        col_b INTO var2,
> >        col_c INTO var3,
> >   FROM foo
> >  WHERE fobar;
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> > Keith
>
> try it like
> select col_a,col_b,col_c INTO va1,var2,var3 ....
>
> not sure if 8.0.2 allows you to do that, however.

Apparently it does.  Just to wrap up this thread and hopefully help the next
person.  When SELECTing multiple values into variables only use one instance of
the INTO clause.  i.e.

SELECT col_a,      col_b,      col_c INTO var1,      var2,      var3 FROM fooWHERE fobar;

Kind Regards,
Keith