Re: [HACKERS] More flexible LDAP auth search filters? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject Re: [HACKERS] More flexible LDAP auth search filters?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 17/07/17 00:14, Stephen Frost wrote:

>> If it helps, we normally recommend that clients use ldaps for both AD
>> and UNIX environments, although this can be trickier from an
>> administrative perspective in AD environments because it can require
>> changes to the Windows firewall and certificate installation.
>
> LDAPS is better than straight LDAP, of course, but it still doesn't
> address the issue that the password is sent to the server, which both
> SCRAM and Kerberos do and is why AD environments use Kerberos for
> authentication, and why everything in an AD environment also should use
> Kerberos.
>
> Using Kerberos should also avoid the need to hack the Windows firewall
> or deal with certificate installation.  In an AD environment, it's
> actually pretty straight-forward to add a PG server too.  Further, in my
> experience at least, there's been other changes recommended by Microsoft
> that prevent using LDAP for auth because it's insecure.

Oh sure - I'm not questioning that Kerberos is a far better choice in
pure AD environments, it's just that I spend the majority of my time in
mixed-mode environments where Windows is very much in the minority.

In my experience LDAP is often implemented badly; for example the
majority of software still uses simple binds (i.e. plain logins) rather
than using SASL binds which support a whole range of better
authentication methods (e.g. GSSAPI, and even DIGEST-MD5 has been
mandatory for v3 and is implemented on AD).

And yes, while better authentication mechanisms do exist, I find that
all too often most software packages claim LDAP support rather than
Kerberos, and even then it is often limited to LDAP simple binds without
ldaps support.

ATB,

Mark.