Re: Too easy to log in as the "postgres" user? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: Too easy to log in as the "postgres" user?
Date
List pgsql-general
2009/10/15 Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>:
> * Thom Brown (thombrown@gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>> I've made that change, but now PostgreSQL won't start, and outputs the
>> following error in the log:
>>
>> 2009-10-15 11:52:41 BST [18720]: [2-1] CONTEXT:  line 74 of
>> configuration file "/var/lib/postgresql/8.4/data/pg_hba.conf"
>> 2009-10-15 11:52:41 BST [18720]: [3-1] LOG:  invalid authentication
>> method "sameuser
>
> You need it to be 'ident sameuser', not just 'sameuser'.  Also, only do
> that for the 'local' line.  Comment out the host lines if you don't need
> them.  If you do need them, change them to something else (eg: md5 if
> you want password-based, gssapi if you have a Kerberos or MS/Active
> Directory infrastructure, ldap is also an option, etc...).
>
> 'local' is used when connecting over a unix socket, eg: psql -d blah
> 'host' is used when connecting over a network: psql -d blah -h myhost
>
>        Stephen

Okay, I've just ended up commenting out the host lines and it's
effective enough as far as logging in is concerned.  However, the
websites which use the database are no longer able to connect.  I
should point out that they are connecting to pgbouncer through a
specific port number.  I haven't been successful in getting the sites
to connect through a unix socket.

Thom