Re: type casting in 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From thefronny@gmail.com
Subject Re: type casting in 8.3
Date
List pgsql-general
On Feb 11, 3:15 am, "${spencer}" <spenc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just literally ran my first search of the day and got the same
> error.
>
> i changed my query so that the integer was cast into text and then it
> worked fine.
>
> thefro...@gmail.com wrote:
> > All,
>
> > I'm getting the following (new) (php?) error on a database recently
> > moved from 8.2.6 to 8.3. I know there's been changes with casts in 8.3
> > and I intend to learn how to fix them but I don't know how to
> > interpret the error:
>
> > ERROR: operator does not exist: character <> integer LINE 1: ...
> > 303841-9' and amount > 0 and quant > 0 and reg_id != 99) gro... ^
> > HINT: No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You
> > might need to add explicit type casts.
>
> > I think that
>
> > operator does not exist: character <> integer
>
> > is the key here. Does it mean the query is trying to interpret a text
> > string as an integer? The string ...303841-9 is an ISBN number and is
> > char(16) in the table.
>
> > Thanks for any pointers or links to a tutorial.
>
> > tf

Ya know, I found and fixed my problem today at work. I just explicitly
cast everything in the query and as I worked my way through it I
watched how the error message changed. At the very end I came up to
something like "...and store != $store". I changed it to "...and
store != '$store'" and, bingo the query worked again. Then I backed
out all the :: casting I had done and everything still worked. 'magine
that.

tf