SELECT CAST(123 AS char) -> 1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Johanson
Subject SELECT CAST(123 AS char) -> 1
Date
Re: SELECT CAST(123 AS char) -> 1
List pgsql-general
For sake of interoperability (and using an API that requires String-type
hashtable keys), I'm trying to find a single CAST (int -> var/char)
syntax that works between the most databases. Only char seems to be a
candidate, but in 8.3 casting from an integer outputs only the first char...

Is this a bug, or would someone like to horrify me by stating something
like "spec says this is correct". :-)

I noticed this is also occurring on date/time types though that's not my
need/concern.