Re: Add standard collation UNICODE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Add standard collation UNICODE
Date
Re: Add standard collation UNICODE  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2023-03-09 at 11:23 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> Looks good to me.

Another thought: for ICU, do we want the default collation to be
UNICODE (root collation)? What we have now gets the default from the
environment, which is consistent with the libc provider.

But now that we have the UNICODE collation, it makes me wonder if we
should just default to that. The server's environment doesn't
necessarily say much about the locale of the data stored in it or the
locale of the applications accessing it.

I don't have a strong opinion here, but I thought I'd raise the issue.

By my count, >50% of locales are actually just the root locale. I'm not
sure if that should matter or not -- we don't want to weigh some
locales over others -- but I found it interesting.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis