Re: Add standard collation UNICODE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Add standard collation UNICODE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 23.03.23 21:16, Jeff Davis wrote:
> Another thought: for ICU, do we want the default collation to be
> UNICODE (root collation)? What we have now gets the default from the
> environment, which is consistent with the libc provider.
>
> But now that we have the UNICODE collation, it makes me wonder if we
> should just default to that. The server's environment doesn't
> necessarily say much about the locale of the data stored in it or the
> locale of the applications accessing it.

As long as we still have to initialize the libc locale fields to some
language, I think it would be less confusing to keep the ICU locale on
the same language.

If we ever manage to get rid of that, then I would also support making
the ICU locale the root collation by default.