updating table field whenever other table field changes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From tech7890@yahoo.com (Andrew)
Subject updating table field whenever other table field changes
Date
Re: updating table field whenever other table field changes  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello postgresql.questions group!

What do you think the best way to attack the following is:
parent table a - [status_field]

child table b - [status_field]

I need trigger or similar to achieve the following:
if a.status_field changes than all children of table a have their
b.status_field change to the same value as a.

However if b.status_field changes its parent record, a.status_field,
does not change.

Should I just create a separate update trigger or can I set this up
right when I am declaring these tables to achive this.

I also do not really understand CONSTRAINT TRIGGER and how it differs
from a regular old TRIGGER.  What do these internal TRIGGERS,
particularly "RI_FKey_noaction_upd" do?

Thanks for your time.  Any help or advice is appreciated.

-------
Andrew C.
tech7890@NOTPART@yahoo.com
Please remove characters 'NOTPART' from e-mail address above to e-mail
me