Re: TAP tests aren't using the magic words for Windows file access - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: TAP tests aren't using the magic words for Windows file access
Date
Re: TAP tests aren't using the magic words for Windows file access  (r.zharkov@postgrespro.ru)
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/22/19 3:55 AM, Juan José Santamaría Flecha wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 9:00 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz
> <mailto:michael@paquier.xyz>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 08:09:38PM +0100, Juan José Santamaría
>     Flecha wrote:
>     > I think Perl's open() is a bad candidate for an overload, so I
>     will update
>     > the previous patch that only touches slurp_file().
>
>     FWIW, I don't like much the approach of patching only slurp_file().
>     What gives us the guarantee that we won't have this discussion again
>     in a couple of months or years once a new caller of open() is added
>     for some new TAP tests, and that it has the same problems with
>     multi-process concurrency?
>

> I agree on that, from a technical stand point, overloading open() is
> probably the best solution for the reasons above mentioned. My doubts
> come from the effort such a solution will take and its
> maintainability, also taking into account that there are not that many
> calls to open() in "src/test/perl".

I think the best course is for us to give your latest patch an outing on
the buildfarm and verify that the issues seen with slurp_file disappear.
That shouldn't take us more than a week or two to see - drongo has had 6
such failures in the last 11 days on master. After that we can discuss
how much further we might want to take it.

cheers

andrew