Re: BUG #17796: pgcrypto undecryptable blowfish data previous stored with openssl 1.1.1 with builtin decrypter one - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From agharta82@gmail.com
Subject Re: BUG #17796: pgcrypto undecryptable blowfish data previous stored with openssl 1.1.1 with builtin decrypter one
Date
In response to Re: BUG #17796: pgcrypto undecryptable blowfish data previous stored with openssl 1.1.1 with builtin decrypter one  (Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se>)
Responses Re: BUG #17796: pgcrypto undecryptable blowfish data previous stored with openssl 1.1.1 with builtin decrypter one  (Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se>)
List pgsql-bugs

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for quick reply.

I've found the rapid way to get hash type: htpasswd. Correct me if I am wrong.

#openssl version
OpenSSL 1.1.1k  FIPS 25 Mar 2021

#htpasswd -nbBC 10 USER PASSWORD
USER:$2y$10$YZNMKHWMye0yY3vvWUK8bOTrJjSRdD.sS2kXythshRkr2l1Qrcfha

So, in my Rocky Linux 8 is $2y$

Now -as you writed- it's clear: hashes are incompatibles.

For me, actually, the better way is to move to aes256 instead of bf, due to openssl bf deprecation. This should make me sleep well for a long time (i hope).

Meanwhile, to solve the case:

  • in Linux is quite simple  (but insecure), enable legacy ciphers.
  • in Windows....uh....i've not found how to solve it because (if i am not wrong) PG  15  is built with openssl 3 internally and i don't known how to enable legacy mode in it.

Actually in Windows (i disagree but my customer wants to use it) the only solution i've found is:

  • decrypt data
  • backup db
  • update PG to a version with openssl 3
  • restore db
  • re-encrypt data

Many thanks for your clarification, it has been illuminating!

My best regards,

Agharta