Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY and notification timing guarantees - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY and notification timing guarantees
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> 2. Add an extra lock to serialize writers to the queue, so that messages
> are guaranteed to be added to the queue in commit order.  As long as

fwiw, I think you're definitely on the right track.  IMO, any scenario
where an issued notification ends up being deferred for an indefinite
period of time without alerting the issuer should be avoided if at all
possible.  Just to clarify though, does your proposal block all
notifiers if any uncommitted transaction issued a notify?

merlin