Re: stats collector process high CPU utilization - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: stats collector process high CPU utilization
Date
List pgsql-performance
> "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com> writes:
> > On 3/1/07, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> A further report led us to realize that 8.2.x in fact has a nasty bug
> >> here: the stats collector is supposed to dump its stats to a file at
> >> most every 500 milliseconds, but the code was actually waiting only
> >> 500 microseconds :-(.  The larger the stats file, the more obvious
> >> this problem gets.
>
> > I think this explains the trigger that was blowing up my FC4 box.
>
> I dug in the archives a bit and couldn't find the report you're
> referring to?

I was referring to this:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-02/msg01418.php

Even though the fundamental reason was obvious (and btw, I inherited
this server less than two months ago), I was still curious what was
making 8.2 blow up a box that was handling a million tps/hour for over
a year. :-)

merlin