Re: Development of cross-platform GUI for Open Source DBs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Development of cross-platform GUI for Open Source DBs
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/30/06, John McCawley <nospam@hardgeus.com> wrote:
> I can't speak for wxPython etc., but regarding using QT from C++, your
> speed of development depends on your C++ skills.  I wrote a
> full-featured Point of Sale system in Visual Basic that has been in
> active use for about 4 years.  The original development effort (screens,
> grids, etc.) took about 3 weeks.  I got tired of supporting an app that
> I had to lug out my Windows/VB laptop for, so I decided to port it to
> C++ so I could develop on my Linux box.  I ported the entire thing over
> to C++/QT in about a week.
>
> QT is *extremely* good.  My speed with developing GUI applications in
> C++ is now on par with my abilities in VB...And I can't think of a tool
> on earth faster than VB for cranking out quick-n-dirty apps :P

having used both, I can tell you that delphi is much better than vb
for developing database applications.  you also can use the quixotic
hybrid in c++ builder which is a curious mixture of rad technology and
c++ power.  however with each release since delphi 5 or so, borland
seems to be unable to do much more than add bugs to the product, and
so the market has moved on.  also the kylix project was a complete
failure.

btw, I agree that qt is where it's at.  great stuff.

merlin