Re: Development of cross-platform GUI for Open Source DBs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Development of cross-platform GUI for Open Source DBs
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/28/06, Olexandr Melnyk <omelnyk@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/11/28, Tony Caduto <tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com>:
> > Mono 1.2 only fully supports .net 1.1 (for winforms)
>
> Yes. But it already supports most of the .NET 2.0 features (not talking of
> WinForms here) including the ones metioned above and has a C# 2.0 compiler.
>
> > What kind of problems have you seen with the VCL as a project matures?
>
> As I've already mentioned, it's not layout-based. Anchors only partially
> solve the task, so problems can still appear when adding extra languages

> interfaces to the application. Also, VCL is quite incomplete. Say, how much
> sense does it make for button not to have color property, while other
> components, like edit, label and check box have it? There are similar
> situations with other objects, when it seems odd, why it doesn't have a
> certain feature/property.

there are many components that solve this.  I was quite astounded when
windows.forms came out that it did not have a functional grid
component.  While mono/c# is nice, I greatly prefer the TDataset
interface to ado.net middleware.  There are some VCL based database
middlewares, like zeos, which completely outclass odbc.

For a general purpose language, lately I've been taking a really good
look at 'D', which looks to be an amazing language.  Has anybody tried
to hook up postgresql to D?

merlin